Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Blankets

What is it about blankets that is so comforting?  Is it their smell, touch, or just their simple presence that brings a sense of comfort to us?  I have assembled a collection of them, from various phases of my life and people who have come in and left my life. Most recently, after the passing of our sweet dog Duncan, I added the blanket that he came to us with to my collection. 

It all started with my childhood blankie.  My great-grandmother made it for me, and I remember sleeping with it well into college.  My great-grandmother passed away when I was 2 years old, and I don't really have a tangible memory of her, but sleeping with that quilted blanket with the flannel backing was always like having her with me.  I am now also blessed to have the rosary beads that she slept with each night, and that she had in her hands when she passed away nearly 45 years ago. 

My next blanket is from my son who was born and died nearly 7 years ago.  It is a blanket that I cherish; his precious little body was wrapped lovingly in this blanket, and it is one of a few items that he touched that I still have.  I sleep with this blanket under my pillow each night, and it is brings him that much closer to me. 

My loving grandmother passed away 2 years ago; when she was in the hospital, the hospice care brought her a small, hand-crocheted blanket to help to keep her warm as she was preparing to pass away.  No one wanted this multi-colored blanket in my family, but I was more than happy to take it home with me and keep grandma close to me.   I sleep with this now, much like the quilted, flannel backed blankie from my childhood that my daughter now uses.

These seemingly simple blankets are a treasured memento of people (and my dog) who have graced my life.  Snuggling with this collection of comfort makes me feel as if their loving arms are wrapped around me in a warm embrace, and who knows?  Perhaps they actually are.

No comments:

Post a Comment